January 2, 2024
Can you believe it’s already 2024? Happy new year, friends! Contrary to the negative spin a lot of people take about new year resolutions (especially online—the negativity on TikTok last week was a doozy), I’m feeling super refreshed, rejuvenated, and excited to kick off this new year with some purposeful intentions.
Over the next year, there are a few key areas I’ll be setting some goals & manifestations in: business, health, my artist career, finances, and lifestyle. And I wouldn’t be me unless I shared them with you, would I? So, without further ado, let’s dive into them.
The Difference Between Goals and Manifestations
Before I get into it, I wanted to explain one of my most important personal philosophies—namely, for goals and manifestations (and how they’re different).
The philosophy is this: there is a huge difference between goal-setting and manifesting—most people THINK they’re doing the former, but really, they’re doing the latter. And where most people go wrong is their lack of differentiating the two.
(Sidebar: if the word “manifesting” doesn’t resonate with you because of annoying people on the internet, swap it out with whatever does resonate. Maybe “visualizing” or “calling in”… something of that nature.)
I decided a few years ago that I would only set goals that I had complete, full, & total control over. And then any other vision for my business or life or career or whatever else would become a manifestation that I could release the pressure from entirely.
Here’s an example of what I mean: Let’s say you’ve been thinking a lot about 2024 and you’ve decided that you want to bring $X amount into your business this year.
The thing is… you don’t actually have control over that number. Like, at all. In order for that number to happen, the right people have to be in need of your services, they have to find you or be connected with you somehow, the price has to be right for their business, both of you have to like each other on a discovery call, the timeline has to be right… Like, actually, when you think about it, the number of miracles that have to happen to work on ANY client project is truly bonkers.
And you’re not in control of any of the above, really.
There are some things you ARE in control of, though:
- You can make sure your portfolio is up to date.
- You can post on Instagram consistently to increase your chances of being found.
- You can send a weekly newsletter to deliver consistent value to your audience.
- You can make sure your website looks professional and your copy is communicating your value.
… the list goes on.
Once I stopped setting “goals” I had no control over and turned them into manifestations that I could release the pressure from… and once I started setting smaller, concrete, goals that I could turn into daily/weekly/monthly habits and had full control over… it was the biggest mental shift I have ever made.
With that said, let me lay some of my 2024 goals & manifestations out.
- Launch something new every quarter: it’s been a long time coming, but this is the year that I officially get into education! (Plus I’ve got a few templates that I want to revamp and re-launch, so I’m excited for that.) Stay on the lookout for specialty masterclasses from me, because I’m excited and ready to lead. I’m going to achieve this goal by planning out my quarters in advance so that I can have a birds eye view of what I need to be doing each week to get my new offerings launched on time.
- Get consistent with my content: I’m not promising anything wild here, but I reallllllly want to start showing up on Instagram more intentionally AND return to TikTok. In fact, I created a whole ass content hub with journal prompts, content hooks, a content cal, idea bank, and weekly checklists to make sure that I’m staying on top of that goal.
- More than anything, I am manifesting that I stay booked out all year with amazing clients whom I adore. (I mean, who doesn’t want that!?) Universe, send them my way please!
- After a month off from the gym for the holidays (I was honestly just too busy), I cannot wait to get my butt back in there. I will be prioritizing doing movement that I *actually* like to do—AKA cardio—vs. feeling pressured by all the fitness girlies on TikTok to do all this intense weightlifting. And wow, I’m so excited and relieved by that concept.
- Aaaaaand, after a month off from eating healthy for the holidays (I have no excuse for this), I am focusing on fruits, veggies, and proteins for AT LEAST the month of January. My body needs a freaking detox after this holiday season, I’ll tell you that.
- I will also be doing sober January, as I always do.
- This year, I am manifesting the feeling of comfort in my own body—which is something I haven’t felt since the pandemic started, if I’m being honest. (The life of a female performer is rough, ya’ll.) Whether this sense of comfort will come from dropping a few pounds OR learning to love the skin I’m in, I don’t know, but it’s a feeling I’m really manifesting for this year.
- This year, I want to commit to going to more auditions. One of my most exciting updates from the end of 2023 is that I finally joined Actor’s Equity Association (AKA the actor’s union), which means going to auditions (and actually being seen at them) is going to be a hell of a lot easier. I don’t want to put a number on it because it’s never a guarantee that casting will be looking for someone like me or doing shows I’ll be good for, but I vow to go to as many auditions as I can reasonably attend without stressing myself out. (I do run a whole ass business, so, that’s a thing I have to keep in mind.)
- I want to create more singing video content this year! This is something I fell off from doing in the pandemic, but one of my favorite ways to express my creativity back in the day was creating pop punk or EDM arrangements of my favorite showtunes with my boyfriend, Lloyd. See them here! We’ve already got one in the works that I am excited to start working on.
- I am manifesting to do good work that I love with good people. Whether that means booking a show (that would be cool!!!!) or the concert/reading/workshop circuit, I just wanna do stuff I like 🙂
- My biiiiiig goal this year? SAVE SAVE SAVE! If I’m being honest with myself, I spent waaaaay too much money last year doing way too many things. I traveled everywhere, ate out all the time, ordered delivery like crazy…just, so unnecessary for someone who still has student loans. (Plus, I’m turning 30 this year so this feels like the year I realllllly buckle down and get serious about financial health.) I’ll continue using YNAB to track my expenses—my absolute fave budgeting app—so that I can keep this goal on track.
- Along with that, one of my only true “resolutions” is that I will not be ordering food delivery for this entire year. This doesn’t mean I can’t still eat the foods I would normally have delivered, but if I want it, I have to go walk my ass over to the restaurant to get it. (Delivery fees? Couldn’t be me.)
- I am manifesting a multi-6 figure year in my business this year. I’ve hit 6 figures the last two years, and 2024 feels like it could actually happen!
- Perhaps my silliest goal of 2024 is to always have my nails done. I am allotting $$ in my budget to make regular manicures happen weekly, because I always feel so much more put together when my nails are done. I’m stoked about this one.
- I want to read more this year! I’m scared of setting a reading goal with an actual number because this feels like the one place in my life where I don’t need to challenge myself. (Plus, I don’t want to lose my newfound love for fiction.) But I’ve already signed up for my first book club meeting of the year in February, and my new book reading light is coming from Amazon today! YAY!
- I want to do more activities that aren’t just eating out at restaurants & bars. Living in New York, it’s easy to get swept into those “easy hangs”, but there’s soooooo much more that this city has to offer, and I don’t want to miss a thing. To achieve this goal, I followed a whoooole bunch of “NYC events” accounts on Instagram and TikTok so that I always know what’s going on.
- In general, I just want to have the best ever year. I want to have fun, take it easy, be mindful, but live this year with ease.
Want to get clear on your 2024 goals and manifestations?
Good thing I spent the last 6 weeks of 2023 creating a newsletter series called “How to Make the New Year Your Bitch”! If you’re looking to figure out what actually matters to you and call in the best energy for 2024, check it out:
Hi, I'm Sarah Kleist.
Brand & web designer, personal brand strategist, and marketing educator obsessed with the power of connecting with audiences.
An actually-fun-to-read weekly newsletter about marketing, design, business, the arts, creativity, mindset and more.
love this post?
read the next one: